Sunday, February 1, 2009

Stalled in the Drive Thru

Florida State junior wide receiver Preston Parker was arrested for DUI after falling asleep in the drive thru line at the McDonalds (MCD:NYSE) on Tennessee Street in Tallahassee. Parker, although not legally drunk, admitted to having smoked pot. This is the third strike for Parker at Florida State, and it is time to wish him the best of luck, elsewhere.

Last summer, Parker was arrested and found with a gun and marijuana down in South Florida. On the heels of a previous arrest for shoplifitng at a Best Buy (BBY:NYSE), Parker was allowed to remain on the team after he expressed significant remorse and by all accounts up until this weekend, had been exibiting model behavior. I was pulling for him.

I do not want to throw rocks from my couch in a glass house, and thank goodness no one followed me around while I was a student at FSU after hours on end at The Phyrst. But then again, I was not a star on the football team representing the school. Parker is, and was well aware of the issues surrounding that, certainly after his arrest last year. We are currently awaiting word from the NCAA on various minor issues and this type of behavior is obviously not helpful, as if he might care.

Parker is a gifted athlete and potentially has a great future ahead of him. I wish him the best and hope he gets it together, but I have had enough of him embarrasing Florida State University with his selfish, destructive behavior. We have a three strike rule at FSU, and the batter has been called out at the plate.

No comments: