Monday, February 13, 2012

Good and Evil on Display at Grammys

For the first time in about 30 years, apparently like everyone else, I tuned in for the 54th Grammy Awards from the Staples Center in Los Angeles. I am sure many Americans enjoyed every minute of it.

No doubt I am getting old, but for me, while I found much of it entertaining and inspiring, I thought many of the entertainers were awful and can't imagine why they are popular.

Certainly, the evening got off to a depressing start as the recent death of Whitney Houston, a terribly sad commentary on drug use, was felt by everyone. At one time, she had the most beautiful voice and the future was hers. Unfortunately, she made some horrible choices along the way.

On the down side, I have no idea what the Foo Fighters were up to. While they had all the goings on surrounding a performance, I thought they were awful. I cannot imagine why Chris Brown is popular, for I saw nothing impressive about him. Katy Perry, nice looking but an average artist, joined many others who for some reason need 45+ dancers behind them, which only showcases their lack of talent. At least Bruno Mars, who I had never heard of previously, had a resemblance of a routine.

A gentleman I have never heard of, with great honor, introduced another female performer I have never heard of, Nicki Minaj, who preceded to mock the Catholic Church by performing an exorcism during her song Roman Holiday. I found her, and the performance, offensive.

British singer Adele, pictured with Paul McCartney, walked away with a bulk of Grammys, and rightfully so. She has quite the voice, is a breath of fresh air, and her performance of her well written song "Rolling In The Deep" was spectacular. Many young aspiring singers are big fans.

I did think LL Cool J did a fine job as the emcee, and he was respectful to all the performers. Jennifer Hudson was stellar in her tribute to Whitney Houston. Bruce Springsteen is a top notch performer, and delivered on the open. Taylor Swift is wonderful, and it was great to see Sir Paul McCartney team up with Uncle Joe Walsh for a new ballad.

But I was watching to see Glen Campbell get the lifetime achievement award. The Band Perry joined with Blake Shelton for a montage of Campbell songs before The Rhinestone Cowboy himself, came out after walking these streets so long to perform his classic hit song.

Campbell, who recently announced he has Alzheimer's, is now touring with a few of his children. Most enjoyed his performance, with Paul McCartney and Uncle Joe Walsh dancing.

While there were some horrendous performers, it was worth my time to take a snapshot of America culture and see Glen Campbell most appropriately recognized. To top the evening off, Paul McCartney closed the evening performing Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight and The End. It would be a hard days night to top that!

No comments: