Monday, January 11, 2016

Returning Home

David Bowie, the iconic and influential musical superstar, died yesterday of cancer at age 69.

I do not own one piece of his music, although I enjoy much of it very much.  Obviously, not among my favorite artists, I had great respect for his immense talent.

One of the things I appreciate most about Facebook it things that come across the news feed I normally may not see or be informed about.

Such was the case today.

Saddened by Bowie's passing, while reviewing a story on his death, I was totally taken back by the performance of Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield, who spent five months in space and  and covered  "David Bowie's "Space Oddity" — not only the first musical recording in space, but a cover Bowie called "possibly the most poignant version of the song ever created."

 

WOW!

There is a back story.  It was removed from YouTube for a period, but thanks in part to David Bowie, it is now free for all of us to enjoy; and engage in space travel in the mind.

For Hadfield, obviously a very talented individual and huge Bowie fan, this is a tough day.


Many of us are saddened, and thanks to Hadfield, we can take a few minutes to appreciate the talent of David Bowie. The perfect tribute to David Bowie: an astronaut playing "Space Oddity" in space.

Bowie has returned home.

No comments: