Sunday, July 13, 2008

Absence Of Malice

Former White House Press Secretary Tony Snow died early Saturday of colon cancer at the young age of 53.

Before Snow was press secretary, he was the first face of FOX News when it originally launched. I really came to appreciate him from his radio program, where he exhibited true professionalism with a demeanor we all could strive for. He dealt with his callers and guests with kindness and respect, appreciating those with positions different than his.

I never met Tony Snow, but felt as if I had from listening to the radio broadcasts. I was very encouraged when he became press secretary, thinking he would be top notch in that position. He was. After his cancer was made public, I thought he showed tremendous courage fighting for his life and displayed an attitude of a winner.

It has been a tough year for journalists with integrity, with Tim Russert and Tony Snow passing. I hope those who remain behind have learned lessons from those departed.

No comments: