Monday, July 14, 2008

The Old Lady

I am a huge fan of advances in technology and our way of life through American Ingenuity, but I am also nostalgic, particularly when it comes to the grand traditions of college football.

Among those traditions for me was the magical place known as The Orange Bowl. Since it was determined The Orange Bowl was not cost effective to spruce up and with The Orange Bowl Classic long since moved to Pro Player Stadium at the Dade/Broward line, it's only tenant, the Miami Hurricanes, packed up and followed the Dolphins north. With that decision, you can see from the pictures below what we are left with. A historical icon in ruins.


I have attended some 25 games down at the O-Bowl, including several national championship games. Every other year I go down with the mighty Seminoles and use the port-o-lets on the second level grabbing a cold draft or three along the way. Parties in the motor home lot having traveled up from Kendall via Orlando with my buddies Butch, Craig and Eric from The Sports Grill were to die for.

Along with Florida State, I have also followed the Big Red Machine down there and caught an OU-Miami game or two as well. The 31-30 Miami upset of The 'Huskers would likely be the most memorable game. I would also like to forget the 31-0 shellacking UM handed my 'Noles in 1988. I was left to pound beers at Little Hoolies after that one.

One of my favorite memories is captured below for your viewing pleasure as Duncan, NE native Cory Schlesinger drove a stake through Sebastian the Ibis as Nebraska captures another national title.



For teams driving into the closed end zone it was very imposing. I recall the UM stadium announcer cheerleading for The 'Canes and the circus like atmosphere on January 1, 1984. My first game at The Orange Bowl saw Nebraska destroy Alabama 38-6 to capture the 1971 National Title. My last game there was Miami coming from behind to dump Florida State 28-27 in October 2002. After 31 years of history, and with The Orange Bowl on the ground, how fitting.

No comments: