Saturday, May 8, 2010

Time for Innovative Lane Change

My friends have often accused me of being a master at stating the obvious. Given the horrific economic conditions of the day, advancing innovation through thinking outside the box may be a great way to expand incoming revenues.

Looks like I missed such an opportunity.

Cornell Law Professor Michael Lynn, after an exhaustive study, found that waitresses with larger breast sizes received higher tips. Ya think?
While this may seem self-evident to some, Lynn said that “it’s always important to test what seems like obvious cultural wisdom.” Professor Lynn indicates that while good service is appreciated, it weighs in far behind the physical appearance as far as tips go. “[Restaurants] might very well want to hire waitresses who will earn larger tips,” Lynn said. “[These employees] can largely be identified through their physical characteristics.”

As a former bar owner, I could have reported the findings of this research many moons ago. The list of customers stopping by, not just for our cold beer and great wings, but to visit with one of their favorite waitresses, was long.

Hopefully, Professor Lynn's study was not funded by some government grant, which would obviously be a complete waste of money. But, if the government is stupid enough to hand out money for these type of things, I have got to get my thinking cap engaged and start selling the volumes of seemingly useless and obvious information I have in my head.

No comments: