Monday, July 27, 2009

Political Crossroad Approaching Fast

With the announcement that US Senator Mel Martinez (R:FL), an Orlandoan and fellow Seminole whose term I view as a solid disappointment, will not seek re-election, a list of candidates on both sides has emerged. It is on the Republican side that a real time for choosing is at hand, as it appears this election will be a microcosm for the entire country.

The Republican battle seems to be between current Florida Governor Charlie Christ and former Speaker of The State House of Representatives Marco Rubio. The debate has begun.



The popularity of Charlie Christ has dropped considerably over the last several months. I have met Christ, voted for him for Governor and generally like him (another fellow Seminole). Like many, I was appalled when he joined with President Obama in supporting the stimulus, or spendulus, package, which has been quite unsuccessful.

In thinking of the unsavory direction the Obama administration is taking the country, and in particular the spending package which Christ supports, the time is now to stand up and separate ourselves from the politicians which do not stand behind a set of core conservative principles. The primary is the place to put forth a candidate that has those principles, which will make you vote for a candidate in the general election rather than choosing the best of two evils.

That candidate in this Senate race is Marco Rubio, who has established a solid record in the State House, inclduing on the very important issue of property rights, and is vigorously against the policies put forth by the Obama administration. I hope you will join me in supporting Rubio in the primary.

If Christ prevails, he will get my support over the list of Democrats currently running. And if I see him up in the University Center at an FSU game, I will respectfully give him a piece of my mind.

Lets get behind Rubio to make sure this does not happen! In my opinion, America is at a very dangerous crossroad. The time for choosing is now!

1 comment:

Budah said...

Nice post Bahl.

One can only hope that more people get to know Mr Rubio. He definitely has my vote, and I have even contributed to his campaign. Which makes me a member of a fairly small club unfortunately. But there are still many months before the primary, ,and if more repubs learn about him,, he should be able to make a run at Charlie's considerable pocket book.